Peer Leader Application 2019-2020
Applications for the peer leader role have closed and the Center for Leadership will be reaching out to applicants shortly. Please contact the Center for Leadership if you have any questions.
About the Peer Leader Role: Peer Leaders should represent the best interest of Cal Poly and the Center for Leadership and it is our hope that the Peer Leader team will represent a wide spectrum of majors, activities, interests, backgrounds, and have a variety of University experiences. The Center for Leadership believes that we all have the capacity to be leaders and thinks expansively about the concept of leadership – holding positional leadership previous to or during your Peer Leader role is in no way a requirement for this position. Peer Leaders are expected to dedicate between 6 – 10 hours per week (varies based on the team you are on within the peer leader team) to the Center.
Applicants for Peer Leader roles should:
- Be a current Cal Poly student in good academic standing* and have a willingness to grow as a leader.
- Complete the Emerging Leadership Certificate (Emerging Leaders Series) with the Center for Leadership by the end of the spring 2019.
- Be able to commit 6 to 10 hours a week to the Center for Leadership (each team has a more specific minimum for commitment outlined below).
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including comfort with public speaking.
- A strong sense of initiative, self-direction, and a desire to challenge themselves.
- Be comfortable with ambiguity.
- Have excellent organizational skills.
- Be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Be able to receive and follow feedback from professional and graduate staff.
- Be able to follow through and complete tasks within a given timeline and meet deadlines.
- Bring personal interests and passions to their work.
- Demonstrate a willingness to develop and model leadership knowledge, skills, and competencies.
- Accept the responsibility of being dedicated to the Center for Leadership and serving as a role model within the Cal Poly and San Luis Obispo communities.
- Act in good judgement and be accountable for any actions that can be directly associated with Center for Leadership activities and events.
- Be in good standing with the university.
- Expect to serve on one of the three following teams with fellow Peer Leaders: Engagement, Curriculum, and Facilitation.
* A minimum higher education GPA of 2.5 is considered “good academic standing.”
Application: Please click on the following links to learn more about the Peer Leader role and interview process. Once you have read this information, please answer the following questions and highlight your previous leadership experiences.
Thank you for interest in the Peer Leader role in the Center for Leadership. If you have any questions regarding the selection process, please contact Heather Domonoske at firstname.lastname@example.org or Elizabeth Thomas at email@example.com.