The Center for Leadership is looking for currently enrolled Cal Poly students to serve as peer mentors to students completing the Emerging Leadership Certificate. The Center for Leadership’s Emerging Leaders Peer Mentor Program promotes student development through peer-to-peer support. Peer mentors will have the opportunity gain leadership experience by guiding, supporting, and encouraging student mentees throughout the academic quarter.
Training and Time Commitment
- Read about the peer mentor program (30 min 1-hour)
- Complete the Peer Mentor Program pre and post survey (30 min max)
- Actively engage in at least three communications with assigned mentee (3-5 hours)
Peer Mentor Eligibility Criteria
- Currently enrolled full-time Cal Poly student
- Students who have successfully completed at least three academic quarters at Cal Poly
- Students who have a 2.0 or higher cumulative GPA and in good academic standing
Peer Mentors will be selected at the beginning of the fall, spring, and winter quarters and will be matched with a mentee based on background, goals, and interests.
- Provide peer-to-peer mentorships throughout the Emerging Leader Series
- Recognize the importance of one-to-one relationships and peer interactions >Support student leadership, team building, and personal management skills
- Establish student support networks that offer guidance through academic, social, and cultural transitions
- Provide additional knowledge about campus and community resources
- Facilitate successful student retention while enhancing the overall collegiate experience
We are looking for students interested in:
- Connecting students to available on and off campus resources
- Establishing support networks
- Gaining career and professional development experience
- Enhancing leadership, interpersonal, communication, and time management skills
- Contributing to a positive and supportive college environment
- Supporting student growth and development
- Being a mentor and role model for students
- Enhance leadership and interpersonal skills by providing guidance to ELS students and sharing your strategies for success
- Gain a better understanding of the peer mentoring process
- Create a legacy by contributing to a positive and supportive college and community environment
- Opportunity to add to your resume by gaining leadership, career, and professional development experience
- Expand networking opportunities through program participation
- Contribute to creating the Cal Poly community you want to see
- Emerging Leaders end-of-quarter peer mentor social gathering
I am interested! How do I get started?
- Request to Join the Program - Center for Leadership - Alumni & Student Leadership Mentoring
- Be emailed a short amount of information to review for the program! Then we will match you with your student mentor.
If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com
You will be notified which peer mentor training to attend and upon completion of the training you will be accepted into the Career Connections Center for Leadership - Alumni & Student Leadership Mentoring Program at which point you will receive a mentee.